This vegetable barley soup recipe makes a chunky meal of a soup, while being healthy and cheap too.
- 5 or 6 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 leeks cut into round slices
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 5 celery sticks, cut onto chunks
- 1 cup of dried pearl barley
- a few leaves of dark green cabbage, kale or other greens, chopped
- enough water to cover
- Salt and pepper to taste
Very simple to prepare this one! Place all your vegetables except the chard in a large pan with the barley. Cover well with water, boil and simmer until everything is cooked. Add the greens and salt and cook for another 5 minutes.
You can also enrich with Vecon Stock
If you liked this vegetable barley soup, try our other frugal recipes here!