This is a sweet and flavoursome root vegetable soup, perfectly fortifying for those colder days.
Ingredients for a large pot to serve four people
- half a cup of red split lentils
- 5 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 5 medium carrots, scraped and chopped
- 2 small potatoes, diced but with skins left on
- a couple of red onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 large sticks of celery, chopped
- several sprigs of fresh rosemary (dried can be substituted), finely chopped or scissored into the pan
- water to cover
- salt and pepper to taste
Place the lentils in a large pan and cover well with water. Bring to the boil and turn down to simmer while you prepare the other vegetables. Add the chopped veg and rosemary and cover well with more water (cooking time is reduced if you boil the water in a kettle first). Once the vegetables are tender, mash thoroughly and add salt and pepper. Nice garnished with fresh parsley or finely chopped spring onions as in the picture above.
If you liked this root vegetable soup, try our other frugal recipes here.