Seasonal, delicious and super garlic-y, this roast pumpkin and garlic pasta in a blended sauce makes a filling and nutritious meal. The texture of the pumpkin with the pasta works really well. Quantities are for four large portions. Butternut squash, available all year round, works well in this too.
You could use the scooped out flesh of a carving pumpkin for this recipe though culinary ones are more flavourful.
- 1 culinary pumpkin, de-seeded and chopped into chunks
- 1 bulb of garlic, with the cloves separated and peeled
- a little olive oil
- a handful of cashew nuts
- the juice and rind of 1 lemon
- a little salt
- 1 apple, roughly chopped
- Place the chopped pumpkin and peeled garlic in a roasting tin and coat well with the olive oil (with hands is best). Roast for about half an hour at 200C/400F, then leave to cool.
- Prepare pasta of your choice according to packet instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking you can make the sauce. Remove the skin from the pumpkin chunks and place them in a blender with all the other sauce ingredients and blend until smooth. If it’s too thick add a little water and blend again.
- Once the pasta is ready, stir in the sauce and there you go. Yummy Autumnal goodness!
Spicy variant: add a couple of red chillies to the roasting pan and to the mix (best to de-seed them after roasting).
If you liked this roast pumpkin and garlic pasta, try our other frugal recipes here!