This Lentil Soup recipe can be adjusted to make either a nice broth with bread or a filling chunky variety. This soup is simple to make, nutritious and cheap, cheap, cheap! Quantities below makes a pan to feed four people.
Lentil Soup Ingredients
- red lentils – half a cup to one cup depending how thick you want it
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, diced
- water to cover well
- stock of choice (we like a spoon of Vecon Stock with extra vits for winter!)
- salt if needed, depending on stock used
Place lentils and water in pan and bring to the boil while preparing the other vegetables. Add them and stock, cook until tender. Mash or partially blend if you wish. Ta-da!
Top with lots of parsley! Grow it all year round, even in a pot on a windowsill…
- Add other veg such as diced potatoes and celery or chopped greens near the end of cooking.
- Add a tin of tomatoes and/or tomato puree with a handful of pasta to cook along with the lentils for a much thicker hearty soup.
If you liked this lentil soup recipe, try our other frugal fare!
“The first time the sea killed me, my brother brought me back to life.”
So begins THE MERMAID AND THE BEAR. Set in a castle, this historical novel features the 1597 Aberdeen witchcraft panic and a love story.