This homemade hummus is a Middle Eastern dish – can be used as a dip or a spread for sandwiches. It is a lot cheaper to make than buy though many supermarkets do stock it. Even cheaper when using dried chick peas bought in bulk.
- 1 can (approx. 400g)of cooked chick peas (or you can soak overnight and cook 1 cup of dried chick peas)
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 – 2 cloves of fresh garlic
- 2 Tablespoons of tahini (sesame paste)
- the juice of 1 lemon
- a little water to blend
- salt and pepper (optional)
Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until fairly smooth – you may need to keep adding water bit by bit until you get the consistency you want.
If you liked this homemade hummus, try some of our other frugal recipes here.