This fruit cake is great for Christmas or just about anytime at all!
Fruit Cake Ingredients
- 8oz/250g/2 cups of cooking dates with the stones removed
- 10 fl.oz/300ml/1 and a quarter cups of water (you could substitute a quarter cup of brandy or sherry for a quarter cup of the water if you like)
- 6oz/175g/1 and a quarter cups of wholemeal flour
- 1 lb/450g/3 cups of mixed dried fruit of your choice – including lots of dried apricots works very well
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of mixed spice
- 4 tablespoons of orange juice
For decoration: You can either do a traditional marzipan and white icing topping or use rows of different nuts such as walnuts, pecans, brazils and almonds.
Heat the dates and water until the dates are soft. Remove from heat and mash with a fork. Add all the other ingredients and mix well. Spoon into a greased 2lb/900g cake tin and level top. If using the nut topping place rows of different nuts on top of the cake prior to cooking. Bake at 170C/340F for about an hour and a half until cooked. Once cooled the nut topping can be glazed with a little syrup (melt some sugar into hot water) or you can ice traditionally.
If you liked this Fruit Cake for Christmas, why not try some of our other recipes?
back to Frugal Christmas