This basic chocolate cake recipe is easy to make and so so delicious!
- 250g/8oz/1 and a half cups of flour
- 50g/2oz/1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 200/g/6oz/1 cup sugar
- 75g/2oz/half a cup of mixed, chopped nuts (optional)
- 150g/5oz/1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 120ml/4 fl oz/half a cup cold water or soy milk
- 120ml/4 fl oz/half a cup of orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sift dry ingredients into 8″ square or 9″ round baking pan. Mix liquids (except vinegar) and whisk into dry. When batter is smooth, add vinegar and stir quickly, until it is evenly distributed. Put it in the oven, don’t let it stand around (that has something to do with the vinegar) Bake for 25-30 minutes…or longer until done.
A gorgeous ‘steamed pudding with chocolate sauce’ variation of this cake was sent in to us by Bracken: put broken up chocolate bar pieces in the bottom of a microwavable basin and put the chocolate cake mixture on top. Microwave for 2-4 minutes depending on machine. It is something similar to the M&S (and several other companies) steamed chocolate pudding with chocolate sauce. Its also very quick and you don’t need to use the oven (so saving electric).
If you liked this basic chocolate cake, try some of our other frugal recipes!